Who is the internship aimed at?
The internship addresses young Swiss talents who have a bachelor’s degree in industrial/object design. The admission criteria set out on the “Applications” page apply.
We are looking for candidates who speak fluent English and are able to handle a project from sketch to finished design. And who want to apply their knowledge in practice and work side by side with IKEA’s product development to reach many people with their design.
Procedure and application process
Interested parties should apply by e-mail in English to the Ikea Foundation Switzerland from January 2023. A PDF must be submitted with the following content:
- One-page letter of motivation (maximum 200 words)
- CV incl. BA diploma (and work references, if available)
- Portfolio (with a maximum of eight projects, ideally including illustrations of a design process)
From all applications submitted, the Board of Trustees of the Ikea Foundation Switzerland will recommend a selection of 5 to 10 candidates to the responsible persons in Älmhult in March. The selected candidate will be informed in May 2023 and the internship will start at the beginning of September 2023.
What you are offered
- Supervision and guidance from experienced IKEA in-house designers and a sound insight into the concept of Democratic Design.
- A five-month temporary position as an “Intern” at the IKEA of Sweden (IoS) head office in Älmhult.
- A monthly salary of 18,750 SEK (approx. CHF 1,700.00 before tax).
- A free and of course furnished flat for the duration of the internship.
Applicants must have solid basic knowledge of the following software: SolidWorks, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Applicants must also be willing to live in Älmhult for the duration of the internship and agree not to pursue any other professional activities or work for any company (own or other) during the internship. Finally, applicants must ensure that their health insurance policy covers their stay in Sweden.